Monday, October 22, 2012

What Peace Looks Like

One of the reasons I wanted to be an exchanges student is that I desire peace in the world. I desperately dream of showing people that there is a sameness inside all of us. We are more the same than different, we all love, we all laugh, we all cry. I believe once people CHOOSE to see the similarities instead of the differences there will be peace in the world. To some this is an impossible dream, and to them I say " I have already realized my dream, I am creating peace right now,". These past weeks in Italy I had forgotten my dream. My dreams had been lost in a confusion of homesickness, loneliness, frustration and embarrassment.  I had forgotten my reasons for being here, but now after an amazing 4 days at the AFS camp in Torino, I remember. I remember because, now I know what peace looks like. Before the camp,  peace was an idea. I had never truly seen it in action, but now I know and let me tell you: It is amazing!
So what is peace you ask?


Peace is a group hug that includes 6 different countries, peace is half the world posing like a ninja for a picture, peace is a crazy group picture, with every kids from every continent, taken at midnight. Peace is laughter, peace is joy, peace is seeing each other as we are, without fear of the unknown. This is my definition of peace, you can see it in these pictures and hopefully feel it in your heart. And now I see the sameness inside of us everywhere. I see it in school in Italy: when students complain about homework, or talk during class. I see it in my italian family: when we watch t.v. when we hug. I saw it at the camp: when every student knew the Korean  Gangnam style song( even though none of us are Korean). I hope to carry this peace inside of me, just as I know that every student in that camp will. Years from now we will all be adults, living on our own in the world, and years from now we may run into fear and racism, but now I know that these 50 students will never hate the unknown because they fear it. At the camp we knocked down our preconceptions of each other and saw only the person inside. So what is peace? Peace is AFS, peace is spreading knowledge of the world instead of fear. I am creating peace right now, I am changing the world by being openminded and trying to learn new things, by growing and crying and laughing and making mistakes in italian. 470 students came to italy this year, and I can guarantee you that these students and every person they meet will never be the same . So thank you AFS for teaching me what peace really looks like!

1 comment: